Sunday, February 17, 2013

Toi Hutchinson Drops Out of 2nd Congressional Race, Backs Robin Kelly

State Senator Toi Hutchinson has posted on her Facebook page that she is withdrawing her name from the Illinois Second Congressional election to replace Jesse Jackson, Jr..  Hutchinson endorsed Robin Kelly.

Hutchinson wrote on her Facebook page:
"I said from day one that my campaign was not about me. It was about fighting for what we need in this district. If in an effort to win I become a part of dividing our house, it wouldn’t be a win. Not when we need unity more than ever. That’s why yesterday I decided to withdraw my candidacy for the 2nd Congressional district seat. I thank God that I still have a platform to fight for all of the things that are so important to all of us in the State Senate. But as ever, I also know we need a champion in Congress as well. Today I endorsed Robin Kelly in her campaign to win this district, and I urge you to support her with your vote on election day. 

We can’t move our state or country forward divided. I always said that this campaign was not about me. I’m stepping aside so we can stand together as a party and as a community. Our voices are loud. Our voices are strong. I believe in us. That will never change.

Thank you all for your support."